Sunday, December 29, 2013

Gearing Up for the New Year

I wonder: What day will be best to launch a new project? I want to ride the wave of enthusiasm that the New Year brings in, but I don’t want to try to engage people while they’re still wasted. Options are: Thur., Jan 2; Fri., Jan 3; Sat. Jan. 4, or; some later date. What do you think?

Having been out of the country during the holidays, I’ve missed the festivities, but the peace and quiet has enabled me to be productive. Maybe even creative. But as Julia Cameron says in The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity, it’s best to just do the work and leave the quality to God!

In response to “New Projects for 2014,” a young Australian who’s often offered me valuable feedback, Yahya Abdal-Aziz, commented:
Happy holidays! 
Yes, yes and yes!  I like what you're about, about now.  Maybe you needed a little distance (from the US) to be able to see more clearly? 
…The questionnaire is too long; it has too many questions.  I suggest rewriting it at about one-third or one-quarter the length.  Then it wouldn't be too daunting a task to give you some useful input in, say, 5 to 15 minutes.
As for your "personal-political support" or "holistic support" circles, I think you'll find the first name too unwieldy and the second carrying too much baggage ...  How about something simpler, say "growth ring"?  That one also evokes the metaphor of a sturdy tree growing steadily through the years, potentially into a formidable giant.
I think your goal of establishing such circles of trusted friends is achievable.  However, please don't make it feel like a major life commitment to join in the fun and camaraderie.  Our members won't be joining a monastic order, will they?  (Possibly an "intentional community," just the same.)  Consider such "fraternal" organisations as Rotary and Lions clubs, and even some lodges: they meet monthly for a meal and company, devise and promote useful projects within their community and overseas, and engender many long-lasting friendships and commitments.  They may be a fruitful model AND starting-point for creating fully transformative "growth rings".
I replied:
I agree the survey was too long. I've shortened it, but it may still be too long. I include it at the end of this email. If you can give me more feedback, I'd appreciate it. 
I like your reference to the Rotary and Lions clubs and agree that such efforts should not demand too much and should include fun. 
I agree that both "personal-political support" or "holistic support" are problematic. However, the women's movement used "consciousness raising groups" and that phrase is somewhat unwieldy too. One argument for "personal-political support circle" is that it may better describe what is distinctive about this idea. 
Your "growth ring" is intriguing. What about "growth circle"? Here are the options so far:
Personal-political support circle.
Holistic support circle.
Holistic circle.
Growth ring.
Growth circle.
Growth group.
Other ideas?
Your comments, dear subscriber, would be appreciated as well.

And if you want me to visit you during my April/May road trip throughout the States so we can have a cup of tea and a soulful conversation face-to-face about whatever is on our mind at that time, please let me know.




No comments:

Post a Comment