Sunday, October 23, 2011

Occupy SF: Be the Change

Contents:
-- Occupy SF: Be the Change
-- Reader’s Comments

The Occupy San Francisco action is holding together, growing somewhat, and displaying a largely peaceful spirit. One large banner sums it up: “Occupy SF = A Living Example of a Better System.”

The kitchen offers free food. The medical clinic provides free health care. The communications center is a high-tech hub. Some 50 people, some of whom do not participate in the General Assembly (GA), sleep there each night. The General Assemblies that I’ve attended have demonstrated the power of collective wisdom, as various individuals suggest solutions and others rapidly build on ideas they like. And yesterday I was relieved to learn that the GA has adopted a “modified consensus” policy that allows for decisions to be made with a 90% super-majority if and when achieving a 100% consensus proves too difficult.

This week I’ve been informally circulating two proposals to integrate the personal and the political. So far, my proposals have received strong support and some helpful input from the individuals, including some de facto leaders, with whom I’ve discussed these ideas.

The first proposal is a “Be the Change Pledge.” It reads:

Occupy SF
Be the Change Pledge
10/20/11 Draft

As a member of the Occupy movement, I hereby commit myself, my life, and
my body to nonviolence. Therefore:

· I will walk and talk in love and nonviolence.
· I will refrain from violence of fist, tongue, and heart.
· I will be courteous with both friend and foe.
· I will avoid both selfishness and power trips.
· I will strive to be in good spiritual and bodily health.

NOTE: Space for name, signature, and date to go here.
Inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King’s Pledge to Nonviolence

The second proposal calls for “Be the Change Support Circles.” It reads:

10/22/11 Draft
Proposed: Be the Change Support Circles

Purpose: To develop a simple, leaderless model for support circles for activists who meet regularly to support one another with their personal development (not a therapy or recovery group).

Primary Method: The organizers invite people with whom they feel compatible to form a member-run group of 6-8 peers who provide a safe, confidential place for open-ended, deep, intimate, open, honest discussions about life’s most challenging questions as they affect one’s own life, thereby helping one another develop as human beings, while respecting differences.

At the first meeting, which I’m willing to facilitate, I suggest the following agenda:
1. A minute of silence for meditation, prayer, or reflection.
2. Confidentiality: Do we agree to keep confidential the information and observations that are shared here today?
3. Check-in: in one word or one sentence, what are you feeling?
4. Personal Development Report: Briefly, in what way do you want to become a better person and how are you working on it?
5. Early Life Experiences: To get to know one another better, respond to some or all of the following questions:
a. What people or events have had the greatest impact in shaping your life?
b. Describe your relationship with each of your parents, both good and bad.
c. What impact have your parents had on your life?
d. What relationships with others have most influenced you? In what ways?
e. What are the experiences, both positive and negative, that had a major impact on you and your life?
f. What are the principles that guide your life?
6. Shall we meet again? If so, what plans shall we make for it? Shall we proceed with using the True North Groups format (upon which this agenda is based) for the next eleven meetings?
7. Evaluation of this meeting.
8. Adjournment.

I’ve offered to facilitate a meeting at my apartment to discuss these proposals and test the support-circle format. Then we may present the Pledge to General Assembly for adoption or we might just circulate it informally, collect the signed pledges, and invite people to consider how to advance those principles. And if the support-circle test works, we could report on that experience and encourage others to form their own.

My sense is that the Occupy movement is a promising cultural phenomenon that at the least may have fruitful political impact indirectly. But, as all of my taxi passengers with whom I’ve discussed Occupy Wall Street have commented, the movement doesn’t have unity around specific “demands.” Some of the occupiers believe that by creating alternative institutions, they will eventually attract enough people to transform society. From this perspective, to push for specific short-term reforms legitimizes the existing system and achieving specific gains risks people becoming complacent and dropping out following a victory.

Myself, I still believe in evolutionary revolution. Steady, incremental reforms can eventually lead to fundamental transformation, as a chrysalis becomes a butterfly. If the participants in the movement have unity behind a long-term vision, they can cultivate the commitment that is needed to assure that victories don’t lead to complacency. And victories can elicit greater participation from the mainstream, which is critical.

Whether the Occupy movement evolves from culture to politics remains to be seen. In the meantime, I’ve very encouraged to discover so much support for “be the change,” including a commitment to ongoing personal development. Hopefully Occupy SF can develop some user-friendly structures that enhance that commitment.

I don’t know if the verbal enthusiasm expressed so far will translate into action, for the immediate challenges posed by the occupation are pressing. But that is always the case with activism. The question is whether activists will consistently pause briefly from their outer focus to look within and reflect openly and intimately with trusted peers.

+++++

Reader’s Comments

Re: [wadesweekly] Why Compassionate Politics


Hi Wade. Good to hear from you. Yes, feel free to repost anything I wrote to your group.

I do sense that somehow – this general drive to something like “compassionate politics” is becoming critically important. Maybe it’s the kind of leadership – maybe the only kind of leadership – that can pull us all towards not only a “kinder and gentler” politics – but also a more holistic and inclusive and “integral” politics.

Here’s a link to an emerging movement that is grounded in interfaith, and moving towards what I think is your kind of compassionate politics: http://www.groundswell-movement.org/

Here’s a theological article I came across yesterday – that might have some relevance – though, yes, it’s a big stretch. But it does point towards a kind of underlying universal framework that might open to every kind of “diversity” – as per something like a Matthew Fox theology. Karen Armstrong’s vision might not extend this far – but maybe interfaith should be reaching in this direction. I personally think it should,

--Bruce Schuman
http://sharedpurpose.net/home/profile.cfm?tq=579379&login=100803&cpid=100000
My reply: Thanks much for the references. I particularly liked the Chardin essay. However, so far as I could tell, neither the groundswell site, the shared purpose site, nor Chardin explicitly affirm the intentional development of "caring progressive communities dedicated to both personal growth and political action," as I summed up my main concern in the "Why Compassionate Politics" post to which you initially responded. I'm still looking for a project with that kind of commitment.
+++++

Re: [wadesweekly] A Fascinating Discovery: True North Groups

I have pretty much finished looking through the True North Groups book. I'm glad to see your feedback on the Occupations. You would be happy to know that L.A. yesterday was fabulous. Of course, I'm not 'living' there, but I will be going down again soon. Today L.A. is filled with bicycles.

Here is what I wrote yesterday:

I just returned from Occupy L.A. It was an active and peaceful gathering, a beautiful tent city. I have 71 photos. I saw only a couple of police, a man and a woman, walking down the Spring Street sidewalk. They responded when I said, "Hello, Officers."

Many creative signs. Not a lot of young children. Plenty of activity with sign toters crossing the streets at the lights, and huge honking responses from the autos that were stopped. I held a peace sign which also said: Congress~~Pass the American Jobs Act and fix our infrastructure!

The stage became active at 1 p.m. with scheduled activities every hour. I will send my Facebook or website link when my photos finish loading. One sign gives the scheduled agenda. I could say a lot more, but my photos give the true flavor. I believe enough of this can get the American Jobs Act passed. Those speaking against these peaceful demonstrations look like idiots.

Finally, our YOUTH have stepped forward, and we can rest assured that WE HAVE TRAINED THEM WELL. I'm proud to be 70 years old. Did I ever think I would need to be doing this again? No, I didn't. But it's an honor--the least I can do for my country!

I encourage everyone to participate in the nearest Occupation.

--Jane Anne Jeffries

My reply: I look forward to hearing more about what you think about the book. Thanks for the report on LA. Sounds great.

Her reply: I have been a part of groups for a major portion of my life. Because I am a holistic life coach, most of my work is with individuals now. I have no desire to lead a group, but I would accept membership in any I could attend where I think my presence would do some good.

I have worked with Project NatureConnect since 1994 and use nature as healer, along the lines of eco-psychology, for most of my work. People soon learn to heal themselves, using Mother Nature.

Mostly what I have gotten from the book is the realization that I would not want to be a group leader. :)

My reply: I hear you. If and when you have further thoughts, I'd be interested.
+++++

I have just obtained this book on line and await its arrival. I hope to begin group work with many of your observations and challenges on the table. My efforts have been dissatisfying in the past.
I look forward to a continued conversation. Just checking to see that this is the best vehicle to correspond with you. Do you use any other social networking sites such as Facebook or Linked In? I would wish to share your work with others and these may be easier to send such links.

With best,
--John Cloud
My reply: It's great to hear from you again. I apologize for being so slow to reply. I had a sister visiting for a week, which really disrupted my schedule. Thanks for the kind words.

I look forward to hearing more about what you think of the book and what you do with it.

On Facebook, I'm http://www.facebook.com/wadeleehudson
+++++

Hi,Wade. Tthanks so much for the invitation to join a True North Group. While I do want to continue working with you, I am not really in a position to begin something like this.....It asks for, and deserves, a continual commitment and at this juncture I am not able to do that. I hope you will keep me on your list, and that others are able to join you in this important effort.
We had a profound experience as part of the occupation of Freedom Plaza in DC and I hope to go back in November. There is something historic building in this country and it is a rich opportunity to be a part of it.

My very best to you, always----Sherri Maurin
My reply: I'm glad to hear that you had a profound experience at Freedom Plaza in DC. I wish that I could have been there. Something certainly is building in this country.

I really haven't invited anyone to join a True North Group per se. But I am interested in something along that line. Perhaps a "Be the Change Support Circle." I still see the need to develop a model that others could use to form progressive member-run groups dedicated to both personal development and political activism, for I know of none in operation at present. Please let me know if you are or become familiar with any.

Her reply: My friend, Dennis Rivers, is developing an eco-bodhi group to frame it from a more spiritual base, and it has been very moving.......Others are forming groups of support around the occupations....

My reply: Good to hear. Can you help get me written materials about those groups, including their statement of purpose (mission) and the format (structure) that they use?
+++++

Re: [wadesweekly] Occupy SF General Assembly


Great note, thanks for sharing.
--Freddi Fredrickson

My reply: I appreciate the feedback and trust all is well with you and yours.

+++++

Appreciate the weekly updates and was shocked to learn not too many Latinos are involved there in the bay area.

P.S. I agree with the taxi driver too...

Greetings from Dayton, Ohio
-- Esteban Ortiz
My reply: I very much appreciate your comments all the way from Dayton. It's very helpful. Hopefully more Latinos will get involved eventually. Still driving,
+++++

I have been attending NYC and am delighted to know that you will have a crucible to bring to bear all you have learned and shared.

Let there always be moments of inclusiveness in all we say and do. There are amazing and beautiful people just outside the door of this movement and we must let them all in.

Keep in touch
--John Cloud
My reply: Glad to hear you’ve been able to participate in NYC. Have you gone to General Assembly meetings? What do you think of the 99% Declaration working group https://sites.google.com/site/the99percentdeclaration/? What are the prospects for something like that proposal for a National Assembly to be adopted? Have you been able to bring to bear all that you have learned?

As for my own contributions here, I’m talking with folks about adopting a nonviolence pledge. We shall see. More on that later.
+++++

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Makes me very glad that you have actually participated and had a personal experience with OWS in San Francisco.
I keep following in on computer as many of my friends and we are doing what is possible within our means. Mainly to send out as much information as possible, keep it circulating and alive in people´s lives and minds, to awaken them to this amazing process that is being born and living in our present times. Many people are still unaware of this awakening and we are doing our best to help them to wake up to it.
Thank you for staying in touch and when you get back to Mexico let me know.

All the best
Anosha Ossdon
My reply: Sure thing. My pleasure. Glad you appreciated it. My visits to the site prior to the General Assembly and the assembly itself have been very rewarding. Thanks again for your emails from Mexico. I’ll be back in Tepoztlan Nov. 30 and look forward to seeing you again.
+++++

Yeh, wade, it is happening big time. I’m in nyc at OWS,,, amazing action lets hope it keeps up.

--Marvin Surkin
My reply: Glad to hear you’ve been able to participate in NYC. Have you gone to General Assembly meetings? What do you think of the 99% Declaration working group https://sites.google.com/site/the99percentdeclaration/? What are the prospects for something like that proposal for a National Assembly to be adopted? What are your overall impressions now?
+++++

I'd like to discuss w/ you the "Occupy Movement" and where it might go from here. Loved your report on the GA last weekend.

Richard Gross
My reply: Glad you like the report. In terms of where it might go from here, Occupy Protesters' One Demand: A New New Deal—Well, Maybe covers that issue. Here's one possibility: The Steps to Non-Violent Revolution and the Convening of a National General Assembly.

+++++

Thank You Wade, this is a very interesting news. Greetings.
--Alba Rodriguez
My reply: Good to hear. I appreciate the feedback.
+++++

Re: [wadesweekly] Comments from Readers

Do not and did not intend harshness, so apologies if taken that way. Looking for clarifications, which you supplied.

As time goes on, OWS is getting more coverage, albeit still condescending. That may (hopefully) change...

It remains to be seen what change will come from it. Confrontation has a dismal track record.

Again, I appreciate your time and attention.

--Gavino Villapiano
My reply: I'm glad the clarifications helped.
Yes, it will be interesting to see what further change will come from OWS.
It's already had a positive cultural impact.
+++++

Re: [wadesweekly] Gandhi, Self-Improvement, and Mutual Support

And what if that potential is not realized? What if it does not garner support from elites?

When does it become time to consider other approaches? I ask that entirely honestly....

--Gavino Villapiano
My reply: Good question. It's hard for me to generalize. In terms of (rarely) resorting to violence, I'd say that it would include an estimation of chances for success without too many counter-productive side effects. And how hopeless nonviolent options are.
+++++

Re: [wadesweekly] A Counter Meditation

I don't agree with your statement on cooptation, but I will think about it.

As for space, it's unhip, clearly. And who wouldn't prefer a more straightforward route?

Bout the straightforward route has been failing badly. Perhaps OWS might turn the tide. I am as unconvinced of that as you are regarding space. If it works, great.

But if not, do we continue Quixotically?

Despite your reaction, I continue to assert that we need to find another way...

Gavino Villapiano
My reply: One definition of co-opt is "to take or assume for one's own use; appropriate." That seems acceptable.

Another is "to neutralize or win over (an independent minority, for example) through assimilation into an established group or culture." Such assimilation can result in real progress, as happened with the Black, women's and gay movements. A steady succession of such improvements can eventually lead to more fundamental structural change.

We need many other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment